Friday, September 23, 2011

Sharp Stylings #9: Shoe Edition

We can learn so much from yesterday’s fashion icons.  And living in a post-Mad Men world means we can even enjoy aspects of current male fashions! Every Friday, I’d like to start your weekend off right with a little style inspiration from either then or now. Hopefully, my fellow Mod enthusiasts will find the whole or some detail of the whole to appreciate and maybe even adopt.

Oh, what, you thought I was done talking about shoes?

Permission to use this photo very kindly granted by Lloyd Johnson, one of the original Modernists.
Earlier in the week, I spoke of my love for chisel-toed shoes. Well, they don't get much more chiseled than these! Just take a look at the beautiful detailing in the shoes above: suede/leather combos, slip-ons and lace-ups, beautiful heels, wingtips and stitched designs... seriously, with shoes like these around, how on earth did the desert boot become the Mod shoe staple?

If there are any shoe designers out there, hope these serve as some inspiration. Alright... I promise, next post will be shoe-free! I know, I know... you probably don't want it to stop either, but it's time to move on.

Now excuse me, I'm off to find a cobbler!

4 comments:

  1. Have you taken a peek at the Johnston and Murphy(Union Square) desert boot? Chisel toe, excellent construction. And how bout a shoe post on the tragedy of San Francisco being too cheap to maintain a Church's outlet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads-up, Colin! I've not checked those out yet but will next time I'm up there.

    A chisel-toed desert boot... I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peal & Co. (through Brooks Brothers) have some desert boots that have fairly narrow toes. They're not chisel-toed, but they're definitely sleeker than the average desert boot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Anonymous! I'll have to take a look through their site later today to check these out.

    Hey, I can keep an open mind about these things!

    ReplyDelete