Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sharp Stylings #17: Jeff Beck

We can learn so much from yesterday’s fashion icons.  And living in a post-Mad Men world means we can even enjoy aspects of current male fashions! Every Friday, I’d like to start your weekend off right with a little style inspiration from either then or now. Hopefully, my fellow Mod enthusiasts will find the whole or some detail of the whole to appreciate and maybe even adopt.

Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm skippin' out on Mod Gone Wrong this week to bring you some super sharp style.

Say hello to Jeff Beck, guitar stud of such bands as The Yardbirds and (surprise) The Jeff Beck Group.
 

Yes, before falling madly in love with muscle shirts, this guy used to roll around town dressed like this. And apparently, much like Gabor Szabo, he'd just ride around town on a scooter, stopping every once in a while to lay some sweet guitar licks on people. That's just how Beck works.

Now let's see... what's so great about this photo? Hmm... well for starters:
  • The earth-toned, paisley cravat tied under the collar of his white shirt.
  • Well-heeled black boots with a nice chisel-toe.
  • Dark, striped pants/trousers that look like they're cut with a small flare.
  • Simple, black 3/4 coat which makes the paisley cravat pop out more.
  • Oh yeah, and DUDE IS JUST COLD KICKIN' IT ON A SCOOTER WHILE PLAYING HIS GUITAR.
Really? Have you seen a cooler pose?

And with that, I'll wish those in the U.S. a Happy Thanksgiving and for the rest of ya, have a great rest of the week!

By the way, does anyone know what kind of bike Jeff Beck's sitting on?

3 comments:

  1. You're question has been driving me crazy! At first glance, I thought it might be a Zundapp Bella but the louvers under the spare wheel are horizontal instead of vertical. My best guess is an early (because of the tail light)German Heinkel Tourist. I would love for someone to tell me otherwise.

    Here's what it looks like from the front. I love those machines!

    http://www.heinkeltourist.com/images_owners_mia.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what a weird scooter, it looks very svelte like a vespa small frame. Most of the non-usual scoots are pretty chunky. I thought it might be Japanese. Anyways, love your blog, first time poster. Met you a long time ago in SF, Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call, Patrick! I wish there were other photos from this session to confirm.

    Anonymous, hope I wasn't obnoxious when we met! And thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete