Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Mod Gone Wrong: The Pretty Green Parka

October's been a crazy month so I still haven't had a chance to write about our recent trip through the streets of Europe. However, there was one stop there that I was happy to skip: the Pretty Green store on Carnaby Street. I'm sure many of you are already familiar with this shop which specializes in overcharging people for dumpy, somehow-associated-with-Mod casual wear like this and this.* Oh yeah, and it's owned by one of those baggy-jeans-wearing Oasis guys.

Well yesterday, I came across this item off the the wonderful Modculture site:


What you're looking at here is an official "replica Quadrophenia parka." And yes, I just typed those words out. Folks, it's an army jacket. Or more accurately, a copy of an army jacket worn by 'Jimmy' on the cover of The Who's Quadrophenia LP. FOR SALE. Hey Pretty Green, why not sell a replica Blow-Up camera? Or how about a replica of the one of the coffee cups seen in an early Style Council photo?

Now like I said, this thing is actually for sale because, y'know, why get a real army parka when you can buy an authentic movie parka? What's so fancy about this particular jacket? It's a limited edition with only 100 copies made. Am I missing something here?

So I bet you're all wondering how much this thing is? Get ready for it: £500! Yes, you read that right. In American dollars that's... a lot of money!

Listen, I'm all for people digging on cool pop culture memorabilia. Y'know, maybe a reproduction of Darth Vadar's mask or an official Batman utility belt. But a non-descript army jacket that looks no different than a real army jacket? For £500?

Hey, if you want to spend the cash to look unslick, be my guest. Me, I'd rather spend it on a tailor-made suit.

*Okay, seems like they've started adding ready-to-wear suit jackets and trousers to their collection. That's a good thing, right?

6 comments:

  1. The chevron's too low and it's supposed to be on both sleeves...he hee. And it's look like there's no liner or fox fur lined hood either? Talk about coals to Newcastle.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some don't get the Parka/Mod thing. I do. (I hope so because if not, I should propably change the name of my blog)

    You can't get more Mod than an authentic M-51 or to some extent an M-65. I love my parkas and wear them proudly. The only downside is to find a prestine one.

    A couple years ago, Fred Perry came out with their own nice replica for around 300$. I found that too expensive and missed the boat when they had a 50% off sale at Urban Outfitters. Plus, if given the choice, I always go for the original.

    But this, I don't get at all. I have a friend that is a huge Pretty Green fan. I am not. In fact, I find it quite ironic that a piece of clothing so iconic with a subculture that came from the working class (and some from the middle class)that prided themselves with being resourceful would stand for something like that. THE parka was not only practical but a symbol for what being a Mod was all about. It's NOT the case here. I'm even offended by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that Parka is ridiculously priced! I can see why it's limited to 100 copies, because there really can't be more than 100 idiots to buy this thing! When I was in London in summer of 2010 I did take two trips to Carnaby St, and stopped into The Merc, Ben Sherman and Pretty Green, but was kind of disappointed. I felt like they were just co-opting the Mod scene with over priced items that were inexpensively made. In some ways, I felt a lot of the stuff was also unimaginative in design. Granted I will say that I did like a lot of the Pretty Green items, but not enough to spend the dough on the hefty price tag. I felt a little insulted for the kids that this stuff is manufactured for, because it must take saving your yearly wages to afford a single item.

    For me, Mod has always been a way to express one's individuality (despite what some believe) and personal (good) taste. Which is what Carnaby St. once stood for. It was only after searching around the Carnaby area that I stumbled upon Blaqua, which (for me) really got the true tone and spirit of Mod fashion. From the imaginative designs to the cut of the shirts, I was really impressed. I bought a shirt, tie, cravat, and cufflinks, and though it cost me a lot, I feel it was money well spent. I'm not sure I can say the same about the other stores. Great article Carlos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty Green is low rent, that's all there is to it. Their cheap printed cravats are atrocious. What else is really expected from Liam Gallagher? Style? Good taste? Restraint? Only clothing line worse then Pretty Green is Lambretta out of the UK. Not sure if you caught a glimpse - or a whiff - of their cologne line... (though their licensed Who t-shirts were kinda cool).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its might be overpriced but it is true Mod culture. you go on about it being in England and Pretty Green and by Liam Gallagher. But the Mod movement is English and we are the true mods. The movement was resurrected by band like Oasis Ocean Colour Scene and artists like Paul Weller and why not design something so iconic to English Mod culture. we invented it so we will resurrect it whenever and however we want. If u call urself a Mod u should know this we are english and we are the mods

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Nice article ..Thanks for the post .The Pretty Green Festival Jacket is a return to the basics for Pretty Green, a true British menswear label . Known to produce quality, straight talking menswear, Pretty Green's designer clothes draw inspiration from the vibrant art, music and cultural scene of the 60's. This men's classic hooded jacket is a welcome return for the timeless Festival Jacket design, that has a very distinct British style stamped all over it. I found a very good website which deliver best quality jacket at affordable price visit www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/pretty-green-m20

    ReplyDelete