Friday, February 28, 2014

Sharp Stylings #68: Jimmy McGriff

We can learn so much from yesterday’s fashion icons.  And living in a post-Mad Men world means we can even enjoy aspects of current male fashions! Every Friday, I’d like to start your weekend off right with a little style inspiration from either then or now. Hopefully, my fellow Mod enthusiasts will find the whole or some detail of the whole to appreciate and maybe even adopt.

So last night, I was organizing some LPs, when I came across this one that stopped me cold:

I was staring at it for a while, as it opened up a very foggy memory. There I was, admiring McGriff's hat (porkpie?)... his clean, well-pressed tab-collar... the thin dark tie... the roll of his jacket lapel... the ivory-looking buttons of his jacket and waistcoat... the herringbone-like pattern of the suit...

...and slowly it came back to me. THE BLOG! That's right... I used to get a kick out of stylish photos like this and writing about them!

Well, thank you Jimmy McGriff for waking me up out of my stupor. I mean, check that photo out, folks. Tell me, how do you get much sharper than that?

And before you tell me McGriff needs a French-cuff shirt, let me tell you that's what makes his look even better. In this shot, he looks razor sharp while still keeping an air of ease. Sometimes, a simple non-cufflink-requiring shirt keeps your look within a casual realm despite the suit and tie.

If you have this album at home, go ahead and pull it out. Yeah, you're admiring the subtle pattern of his suit right? And the color of the suit... hard to tell in the light I'm using, but looks like a charcoal grey to me, which is probably the most perfect suit color as it goes with pretty much everything.

Alright, instead of blabbing on and on about how slick McGriff is, I should just play this record already.

Listen, sometimes I get lost with photos and have a hard time picking ones out to comment on. Howzabout you? What are some of your favorite styled shots? I could always use more inspiration.*

Alright, Jimmy... take us out.

*Oh, and let's mellow on the Marriott/Weller pics, please. Played. Out.
*

23 comments:

  1. Stylish and Purposeful, pinned collar dress shirt is one of several collar styles offered for men. The main purpose of pin collar is dual: first the pin brings the collar tabs closer, making for an exclusive, attractive appearance and, second, the pin props up the knot of the tie which makes the necktie more noticeable. It's always great to wear ties with pinned collar dress shirts. In addition, never wear a pin collar dress shirt without a tie. It looks ludicrous.french cuff shirts

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) didn't get your reply til the other day... I found this and it turns out the photographer is a friend of my cousin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oFfnHe-12c

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BB-XCQ5w84

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering what had happened! Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an intresting blog that you have posted, you shares a lot of things about Tailor Made Suits Online,Bespoke Suits Online Bespoke Suits For Men. Which are very informative for

    us.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi this one is great and is really a good post. I think it will help me a lot in the related stuff and is very much useful for me. Very well written I appreciate & must say good job..
    lapel pins

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. It contains truly information.
    lapel pins

    ReplyDelete

  8. This is an intresting blog that you have posted, you shares a lot of things about Tailor Made Suits Online,bespoke tailoring and Bespoke Suits For Men.Which are very informative for

    us.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very informative and worthy post. Thanks for the sharing.. Surpluss provides multiple Men's & Women's jeans brands. Visit shopping different clothes accessories today and get more benefits....Men’s Coats and Jackets, Buy Men's Jackets Online, Buy Men's Denim Jackets, Men’s jackets and blazers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very informative post. your post always help thanks for your beautiful information.

    African Wax Print, African George Fabric

    ReplyDelete
  11. You need to take part in a contest for one of the most useful sites online. I'm going to highly recommend this website!
    buy t shirts online

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Everybody!
    Can you give me some minutes for introduct my service? I"m providing máy xay sinh tố | Special is máy làm bắp rang bơ | and bắp mỹ | and bơ làm bắp rang bơ | and máy làm bắp rang bơ bằng ga | and máy làm bắp rang bơ VBG 1608 | and máy làm bắp rang bơ VBG-1708. Contact with me.
    Thanks for reading! And have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Online Mens Dress Shoes Store | BMCwear :- Online mens dress shoes store. Shop latest mens high quality shoes online starting loafers, oxfords, waterproof boots and casual boots @ bmcwear.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Star lord coat is present in best quality leather both real and synthetic order now we shipped worldwide – Galaxy Chris Pratt coat is present for you in discounted price

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very informative and worthy post. Thanks for the sharing.

    Tendy Fashion for men

    ReplyDelete
  16. Celebrity leather jacket is available in fine quality and its price is perfectly competes its quality. We receive orders from any part of the world and shipment of the product is totally free.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is an informative post. Presenting 24ent the Social Media App for Fashion. Now share and enjoy fashion and Lifestyles stories online at 24ent.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is an informative post. Now share and enjoy fashion and Lifestyles stories online Fashion

    ReplyDelete