Friday, January 20, 2012

Sharp Stylings #23 - Jimmy Castor, Johnny Otis, and Etta James

We can learn so much from yesterday’s fashion icons.  And living in a post-Mad Men world means we can even enjoy aspects of current male fashions! Every Friday, I’d like to start your weekend off right with a little style inspiration from either then or now. Hopefully, my fellow Mod enthusiasts will find the whole or some detail of the whole to appreciate and maybe even adopt.

For this post, originall, I only meant to include this photo of Jimmy Castor who passed away earlier this week. I was going to link to an old interview like this and a great write-up on him like this, and then write about how suave he looks in this early photo, what with the white suit, white shoes, and contrasting shirt and pocket-square and all.

Taken from this obituary at Rolling Stone.
But before Friday hit, Johnny Otis passed away. I didn't really feel like writing about style, instead just wanting you to dig along with me on this photo of him and son Shuggie:

Taken from the Soul Bounce site.
But, before I could click on the 'Publish Post' button, I found out that Etta James passed away today. Now, all I want to do is listen to her catalogue and remember all the times my friends and I would marvel at the cover of her Rocks the House LP. There she is, clad in an evening dress but with her fighting arm bandaged up, showing that no matter how well she was dressed, she was still ready to pound on anyone who's wronged her.

A very sad week in music. Go home and put any of of these performers' records or hunt them out on YouTube. You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment