Friday, December 14, 2012

Casual Friday #10: Alejandro Garin

Working to look sharp for a rare evening out on the town can actually be easy. The tough job is trying to look sharp on a daily, casual basis. Yeah, you might have your Friday night suit at your beck and call, but what does it matter if you spend the rest of your time in target t-shirts and jeans? Every Friday, I'd like to offer up some style inspiration for tightening up your casual look, because let's face it... sometimes you just don't feel like wearing a tie, but still want to keep it sharp.

A few weeks back, the photo below was posted on a Facebook page called 'Mod and Northern Soul,' and it got me thinking that I don't post enough photos of actual, modern-day Mod types. I guess one of the reasons why I tend to avoid that is because I'd run the risk of having the blog and associated Facebook page overrun with requests from people to "Ooh! Use me! Use me!"

And let's be honest: Out there is a sea of Mod-types floating around in all-too-common Fred Perrys, Jam patch-covered parkas... shiny Merc suits... target cufflinks... zzzzzzzz... But every so often, I do come across images that just knock me out, like this one below of former member of the '80s/'90s Spanish Mod band, Los Flechazosand current member of Cooper. (Ah... remember those pre-Britpop days when bands like these guys, The Clique, and The Lost Minds were keepin' things rollin'?) Check out Alejandro Garin, knockin' it out of the casual park:
Alejandro Diez Garin, ex-member of Los Flechazos and current Cooper member.
Up front, the thing I like most about this image is, well, he's older than I am (I think)! Here's someone who didn't give up on the look or let age get in the way. He knows what looks sharp for an older man without veering into the comedy Mod realm.

Secondly, and let's just get this out of the way, yes... his scooter is beautiful! And you know how you can tell? It's not hidden behind a wall of mirrors and lights! He just has a few accessories on there to give it a little personality, but it's the scooter design and paint job that take the focus.

Now, let's get into his gear, starting with his shoes. DAMN! He's killin' it with a pair of chisel-toed kicks made of leather and suede that you just don't see that often. They've gotta be vintage. One thing I've learned about Spanish Mods over the years is that they are some of the slickest guys around who, somehow, come across really great vintage pieces, especially shoes. (And I'm proud to say that I do have a similar pair to these that I wear, oh, once every five years or so.)

Next up, those trousers. Tight-fitting but with a perfect flare that's not too wide. That type of flare accentuates a great shape that brings a person's attention to the shoes at the bottom. Plus, based on how high they're riding from his sitting position, you know they're not high-waters. And an even more important thing to always remember about a good pair of trousers: a sharp, clean crease down the center. No wrinkled, schlub pants going on here.

Finally, dig on his multi-colored 3-button long-sleeved polo. There's a style rule about wearing blacks and browns together in an outfit, but this right here is the exception to the rule. Actually, I break that rule in pretty good moderation. Again, I'd guess that the polo is vintage but I could be wrong. Great, wide bars in tan and brown mixed with black narrow striping. Add in the black sleeves and black collar and you've got a beautiful sweater with colors that stand out from all the surrounding black.

Friends, this is my kind of casual. A sixties look that has dated very well over the years and one that sticks out from the Fred Perry army.

Sure, there are a lot of people out there 'keeping the faith' in their Mod 101 gear. But there are also those fellows who know a thing or two about coordinating a pocket square with their tie, hitting on the right details of a suit jacket, and finding the perfect shoe to pull it all together. I oughtta start giving them their due.

*

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy you chose Allejandro as an example. I love Los Flechazos. His band was well-dressed back in the day too. A well-coordinated casual look is important because it shows you can be well-dressed while running errands or going about your every day life. You never know when you might need to change your plans and go out right after work or accept an impulsive invitation out to dinner.

    ReplyDelete